Tags

, , , , , ,

Pincher Creek is not just another blog post, Tyler’s fathers family comes from this little slice of heaven, located in southern Alberta. We enjoyed spending time with Family in and around the Pincher Creek area.

.

.

I think the story goes someone, many many years ago found a pair of pincher’s (pliers) in the creek and being in an unnamed area at the time, though that would be a great name.

We started off with a visit to the Family farm

We started off with a visit to the Family farm

.

.

.

.

.

.

This is what makes Pincher Creek beautiful, wide open land and Mountains in the distance. Outdoor recreational activities are plentiful, and the summers are hot. The winter is not as much fun, but that is why we don’t visit in the winter.

.

.

The Backcountry Outhouse Restaurant (they have flush toilets) located in nearby Cowley, AB has some tasty foods we were told.

.

Not the healthiest fare available, but undoubtedly the tastiest. Meat and cheese heaven.

.

.

We met up with Tyler’s Sister, from Kamloops, BC who just happened to be in Pincher Creek at the same time.

.

Lots of fun for a three year old.

But too much to handle for a one year old

But too much to handle for a one year old

Family recommended that we tour the local Hutterite Colony. This was an experience.

.

.

The Hutterite colony is operated something like this: everyone works collectively for the betterment of the colony. Money is pooled and no individual really owns anything, the colony owns everything. The colony has thousands of acres of farm land, houses, trucks, tractors, daycare etc. You get the idea, this is essentially a self sufficient community.

Lucky for us we visited on Chicken Slaughter day!

.

.

The Colony has strict rules for what tasks each member must do. For example the women are responsible for the slaughter, cleaning and packaging of the chickens. The men would have been responsible to raise them, clean the barns etc. The colony keeps about 25% of the Chickens for their own use, and sell the other 75% to grocery stores.

.

.

The colony makes all of their own clothing, and even makes its own soap for the laundry. Animal fat is dried and somehow made into soap.

They also raise hogs

They also raise hogs

.

.

You can visit and select your own hog, and have him slaughtered and cleaned right away and ready for the BBQ the same night.

.

.

Onsite greenhouses grow most of the veggies for the Colony

Onsite greenhouses grow most of the veggies for the Colony

The Colony eats together every meal of the week except for Sunday dinner. Sunday night is a private dinner in home with just your immediate family. The colony is 120 members large, and that is a lot of cooking to prepare 120 meals, three times a day. Women between the ages of 15-48 must cook for one week, every seven weeks. One woman cooks, the other bakes every meal for 7 days, and then are rewarded with six weeks off.

.

The walk in fridge, stocked with lots of canned goods for the upcoming winter.

Pizza for dinner tonight

Pizza for dinner tonight

Everything is made from scratch, we tasted the tomato sauce and it was delicious.

.

.

As all resources are pooled on the colony and everything is owned by everyone, the gas pumps are open for anyone to use. This is a weird site, no key or security code required.

Now onto the dairy cows:

.

.

Not too much to see here, cows are hooked up and pumped dry.

Not too much to see here, cows are hooked up and pumped dry.

Now onto the Calving room:

.

.

.

.

Calves love sucking on fingers, no teeth yet. Your fingers come out a little slimy.

Of course the Colony also raises crops and cattle for beef. But staring at a field is not as interesting.

.

.